Friday 7 June 2013

Dear


I used to be a dear.
My mother called 
Me dear. She died.
I'm still here, still a dear.

My ex-wife called
Me dear when i was dear.
She hates me now
Not so dear to her.
I'm still here, still a dear.

You called me dear
last night and in
This new dawn's light
Again.

You are a dear 
to call me that.
I have no fear that
We're both dear
To each other.

But you're not my mother,
Nor are you that other,
So dear seems so queer
And inadequate somehow
To describe this precious
Merging of our tender souls

Oh dear, what can the matter be?
Just a word from your heart
Not assault and battery!

But you've had dears too,
And you've been dear as well
And we're sweet and we're new
And we're True and ideal 
and it doesn't ring true
To re-use the name dear 
 doesn't even come  near
To the words and the names
I've Imagined for you

No comments:

Post a Comment